COVID-19 update: grants and child benefit

 In Analysis, Information, Legislation


In one of my earlier updates I mentioned that local authorities would get in touch with businesses who are on their list as business ratepayers regarding a possible grant.

Unfortunately, not all local authorities are doing this. My own local authority, the London Borough of Barnet, are expecting qualifying businesses to get in touch with them. I expect that many other local authorities are taking the same view.

It also appears that there is only one grant per business premises. Not so easy for sharers.

Action needed

If you are operating a business from business premises and you are the business ratepayer, and have not heard anything from your local authority about grants, may I suggest you contact the local authority concerned and chase them up. You should view your local authority website for more details on this point.

If you are operating a business from business premises and your landlord is the business ratepayer, you should ask your landlord for the reference for you on the business rates bill. Then you should chase up the local authority, as above.

Child benefit

If you or your partner are receiving Child Benefit and either of you have income in excess of £50,000 per annum, you will have to repay some or all of the Child Benefit. This rule has been in place for some years now, and as a result some of you may have disclaimed Child Benefit.

As everyone’s income is likely to go down this tax year, we suggest that you should reclaim payment of the Child Benefit as soon as possible.

Action needed

You should obtain form CH2 from the HM Government website, complete it, and forward it to the Child Benefit office whose address is on the form.

If you or your partner are fortunate enough to continue to have income of £50,000 or more this tax year, we suggest that you claim the benefit but request on the form that no payments be made.

In any event, not to claim Child Benefit may cause difficulty with your NI contributions going forward, as well as making it more difficult for the child concerned to get a National Insurance number at the normal age of 15 years and 9 months.

– By Stephen Handley, FCCA

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment